Thursday, June 3, 2010

I am looking for young adult books to read...

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I have just finished reading The Curious incident of the dog in the night-time by Mark Haddon and it reminds me of when I read Catcher and the Rye in High school.... I'm not sure how much students would love this book but it is quite interesting because it is about the inner thoughts of a boy with autism. However, as a student, I remember hating books like this because it is filled with a lot of 'random talk' that isn't actually interesting and has nothing to do with what is going on in the story... in this day and age kids are used to reading books with a beginning, middle and end and lots of action (which keeps them in connected to the book instead of getting bored with it).

You have to remember, that students are used to toggling in media, jumping from MSN to facebook to watching their favourite television show...therefore reading a book with a lot of 'filling' might lose the readers interest.

So if anyone has any good YA books I should read please let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm jumping back a few posts to comment, but it looks like your blog is pretty well established! One children's book I read this summer and really enjoyed was Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild. It is a bit more 'young' than 'adult' but still was enjoyable! For the more middle/high school age (and to inspire us teacher-types) Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin is great, as is The Freedom Writers Diary by Erin Gruwell! Hopefully you get at least one 'new' book out of those three!

    ReplyDelete