Saturday, May 25, 2013

So here it is...

So here it is, 1 year and 4 months after I graduated from Uvic for the second time and I am a school counsellor and teacher. What happened!? I was told over and over again by almost every prof in the program that it would be next to impossible to get a teaching contract. Well, I showed them!

I remember sitting in an Academic Adviser's office during my first year at UVic, listening to her say "If you want a job you need to teach French or Special Education". Neither of these two things were on my list of 'to dos'. So, I asked what it would take to become a school counsellor. "Well, it would take at least an extra 2 years from your second degree if you are doing the PDP". (Note: The PDP is the Post Degree Program where you get a degree in a widely taught subject, in my case English, then go on to get your Bachelors of Education degree in a 2 year program)

More schooling? No way. I was definitely out. Oh yah, and during that visit she also told me that I couldn't be a drama teacher unless I did a double major in English and Drama because in order to take the classes I needed to qualify as a teacher I needed to be in the fine arts program...

Needless to say it was a pretty terrible visit but I decided to trudge on. And so here I am, many years later, working my dream job! I currently teach Tourism 12 and 1 block of counselling and it is amazing! And the craziest part? I still don't have my Masters of Arts in Counselling Psych degree!! I am going to start it next year though so don't you worry. It was my background in Psych (Thank god for taking so many electives during my first degree) and my current weekend jobs (working at a youth detox and shelter) that helped me obtain the position. Who knew!? So don't believe those who say it is impossible to have your dream job! Be yourself, work your hardest, and fill up every elective with a class that you think might actually be helpful in your future!!




No comments:

Post a Comment